The Importance of Filing a USCIS Tax Return

As you may know, it is important to file a tax return if you are a United States citizen. This is especially true if you are applying for immigration benefits in the U.S.

When you submit your Form I-864 with USCIS, you will be asked to provide a copy of your tax return as evidence of your ability to pay. This will help to prove your financial stability and that you have the means to support yourself and your family.


As a green card holder, you must file both federal and state tax returns to maintain your citizenship status. This is important because failing to do so can cause you to forfeit your citizenship.

In addition to your annual tax return, you may need to submit specialized forms or documents from previous years. It is best to work with a qualified tax professional to ensure that all requirements are met so that non-compliance penalties are avoided.

If you are filing a USCIS tax return, make sure to include all of your tax documents including W-2s and 1099s from each job that was held in the last year. Also, if you have any federal tax schedules that were used to report different types of income that you earned, then they should be included as well!

Self-employed sponsors should provide additional documentation such as a detailed letter from the employer and six months of pay stubs that show consistent earnings. Providing proof of stable income is becoming more and more important with recent scrutiny from USCIS adjudicators.


If you are applying for a green card or other type of visa, it is very important that you file a USCIS tax return. This is an easy way to prove that you are a legal resident of the United States.

Applicants may be asked to submit a copy of their most recent tax return when filing an affidavit of support. This includes all schedules and W2 forms that were part of the tax return.

This is a very important requirement to meet as failure to include a copy of your tax return increases the likelihood of an RFE.

It is also recommended to submit additional prior year tax returns if your most recent tax return does not clearly demonstrate you have the income necessary for financial sponsorship.

Those who are self-employed are also required to include a record of bank statements or invoice records that show a steady flow of income from their business. The amount of income is not usually very important for green card processing, but it is helpful to show stability and a history of earnings.


As an international student or scholar, you are required to file your taxes annually with the IRS and provide any necessary tax documents to USCIS. Failure to file your taxes can result in penalties, fines and complications when applying for U.S. visas in the future.

The most important document you will need to submit is your Federal Tax Return (Form 1040). You can also include any supporting tax documentation that was submitted with the IRS for your current or previous year including W-2s, 1099s and Form 2555.

Providing your Federal Tax Return is a great way to demonstrate that you have been paying taxes for years and continue to pay them in the future. However, it is important to remember that if you are filing near the tax return deadline of April 15th, you will risk receiving an RFE (Request for Evidence) if you do not include the most recent Federal Tax Return you filed.


If you are an international student or scholar on a F, J, M or Q visa, you should file a USCIS tax return each year and report all income you earn in the United States. The USCIS tax return process can be complicated, and you should work closely with a qualified professional to ensure compliance.

Generally, international students are considered nonresidents for tax purposes for the first five calendar years and scholars/researchers are nonresidents for two out of the last six calendar years. If you have been in the United States for more than those periods of time, you will be subject to the Substantial Presence Test, which determines your tax residency.

During your application process, you may be asked to submit your most recent federal tax return along with any accompanying schedules and forms. This is a good option, but you should also consider providing a tax return transcript from the IRS if possible. This transcript is only 4 to 5 pages long, and provides proof that you filed your taxes with the IRS.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *